What is a good recipe for Dover sole?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly dredge Dover sole in seasoned flour. Heat 1 1/2-ounces of olive oil in a medium pan until it begins to smoke. Saute sole until golden brown on each side (about 1 to 2 minutes per side). Finish in oven for 4 minutes.
- 1 Can you cook Dover sole with the skin on?
- 2 Why is Dover sole so expensive?
- 3 Is Dover sole a good fish to eat?
- 4 Do you need to gut Dover sole?
- 5 What fish is Dover sole Like?
- 6 What does Dover sole fish taste like?
- 7 Can you eat the skin of lemon sole?
- 8 What is a good substitute for Dover sole?
- 9 What is the most expensive fish to eat?
- 10 Is Dover sole high in mercury?
Can you cook Dover sole with the skin on?
Absolutely! Dover sole, rainbow trout and even salmon filets can be cooked with the skin on. Just remember to remove the skin before eating.
Why is Dover sole so expensive?
A fish like Dover sole, often sold as Sole Meunière, is a high-ticket item. Since real Dover sole is flown in from Europe, it’s an expensive to buy, which means it’s going to be expensive on the menu. It’s a rich, buttery fish.
Is Dover sole a good fish to eat?
Overall, sole has a mildly and slightly sweet flavor that is somewhat similar to that of tilapia crossed with cod. It tastes light and delicate, but has a texture that is firmer than tilapia or cod. Sole should never taste “fishy”, making it a good option for those who do not always lean toward fish as a top menu item.
Do you need to gut Dover sole?
“Many of the flatfish we land – dab, plaice, Dover sole, lemon sole and brill – are portion sized, so they are perfect for cooking whole and you don’t need to fillet them. As they are usually gutted by the fisherman, there is very little preparation needed.” There’s no need to turn it – it should cook evenly.
What fish is Dover sole Like?
Dover sole is a right-eyed flatfish – it has its mouth on the left side, as do all true members of the sole family. Dover sole lives only in the sea waters stretching from the Mediterranean to the North Sea.
What does Dover sole fish taste like?
The flavor of the Dover sole is mild and sweet. One fan of Dover sole describes the fish as being “more like a meat. It doesn’t have the texture of a normal fish.” Despite its delicate flavor, it’s able to stand up to the heavy sauces favored by European chefs.
Can you eat the skin of lemon sole?
They are so fresh that the skin is crispy. You can use Dover sole, lemon sole or plaice for this recipe. Some people like to remove the skin, but what a pity – it’s so good!
What is a good substitute for Dover sole?
(See our post on wallet card guides for fish and other sustainable shopping.) You can substitute other thin white filets for Dover sole; we have seen flounder recommended, but there are environmental concerns with Atlantic and Pacific flounder.
What is the most expensive fish to eat?
The 5 Most Expensive Fish
- Bluefin Tuna. This controversial food, no doubt one of the most expensive fish you can buy, is well-known for its popularity in the sushi culture and with Japanese foodies.
- Puffer Fish (Fugu)
- Yellowfin Tuna (Ahi)
- Wild King Salmon.
Is Dover sole high in mercury?
While sole fish is low in mercury and generally considered safe to consume during pregnancy, it should still be limited to one to two times per week as part of an otherwise healthy and nutritious diet.