Part 2 of 2: Cutting the Fillets
- Place your perch on its side on top of a layer of paper towels.
- Make an incision just behind the gills of your perch, using a fillet knife.
- Use the tip of your knife to cut along the backbone. The cut will begin where you ended your last incision along the backbone.
- Cut your perch along the belly to the anal vent. Start this cut where you left off underneath the gills.
Is perch easy to fillet?
Preparing your freshly caught perch for your next meal is easier than it seems. You may not get it perfect on the first try, but by preparing your perch and making the proper cuts, you’ll be able to cook up boneless fish fillets for your next meal.
What is a good eating size perch?
I prefer Male Perch between 9 and 10″ for eating, Gills from 8 to 9″ and Crappies from 10 to 11″ As others have said it depends on the body of water.
What is the best time to fish for perch?
Perch fishing is usually best in the early morning or evening hours during late spring and early summer and late afternoon or evening in late summer. In autumn, both morning and late afternoon-evening provide excellent fishing. In the natural lakes, the best fishing is usually from late summer until late fall.
Does perch have a lot of bones?
Does perch have a lot of bones? Unlike trout, which has a line of pin bones, perch have a simple bone structure that makes it easy to fillet and skin. Lift the fillet away from the spine.
What does perch taste like?
Taste. The perch boasts white flesh that has an excellent flavor with a sweet taste and firm crumbly texture. It has a flavor that is mostly likened to that of the walleye but with more appeal. The perch fish boasts white flesh that has an excellent mildly sweet taste and firm crumbly texture.
How do you freeze perch fillets?
Re: Freezing Perch?
- put ziplock bag flat on counter top.
- place fillets flat in ziplock bag.
- close ziplock bag but leave tiny hole to fill with water.
- fill with water and push air out.
- stack bags of fish flat in freezer for freezing.
Do you have to scale perch?
Scale the perch if you want to cook them whole or if you like fillets with the skin left on and fried crisp. If you plan to cook the fish whole, use your knife or a pair of kitchen shears to cut away the spiny fins from their backs.
Can you eat yellow perch?
Highly versatile, yellow perch can be pan- and deep-fried, baked, sautéed, poached, grilled or used in chowder. For most recipes, prepare skin-on. Avoid overcooking to keep the flesh moist. Because of its mild but distinctive flavor, yellow perch can be prepared with minimal seasoning.